The Stairbuilders Manufacturers Association (SMA) honors the outstanding work of its members through its annual StairCraft Awards program, based on aesthetics, safety, craftsmanship, and technical challenges. This year’s winners were announced during the SMA’s annual conference in Memphis, Tenn.
Hardwood Design in Exeter, R.I., won Best in Show for a project that also won the Best Curved Modern Stairway category.
“It is an extra special honor to receive an award from your piers in this very specialized industry,” says company president Bill Bivona. “The entire Hardwood Design team was very proud to be recognized for all their talent and hard work. They are a young crew that has committed to the trade and they never shy away from a unique challenge.
“The Best in Show stair was designed and fabricated at a level that is far beyond the practical capability of many stair companies. Throughout the process we were continually asked by onlookers, ‘How on earth do you even know where to start?’ For us it was an exciting challenge and didn’t scare us in the least. We did it and had fun.”
Other award winners included:
- Best Balustrade and Best Stair Part – Advanced Stair Systems PA in Harleysville, Pa.|
- Best Straight Modern Stairway – DIP Panels in Zarnesti, Brasov, Romania
- People’s Choice – Haas Bros. in Odessa, Fla. and Heartland Stairways in Homesville, Ohio
- Best Curved Traditional Stairway and Best Commercial Stairway – The Heirloom Cos. of Campobello, S.C.
- Best Stairway Renovation – John Wonderly Architectural Woodworking in Springboro, Ohio
- Best Straight Traditional Stairway – King & Co. in Marlborough, N.H.
- Best Spiral Stairway – Stair Lab in Stamford, Conn.
For more, visit the SMA website at stairways.org.